Connect the Dots Ginger | Becky Allen: Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

Turkey Day Transformations! Who wants to have a healthier Thanksgiving this year? I DO! Every week I am going to be posting some great healthy options for your Thanksgiving feast! 

Yes this has sugar in it. But this makes 4 servings. That means only 1/4 tablespoon of sugar per potato. 80/20. Eat clean 80% of the time and enjoy the rest 20% of the rest of the time. but there is so little sugar per serving. Swap out your traditional cream and butter filled mashed potatoes and gravy for this healthy tasty option. Oh and this can also replace the sweet potato casserole. TWOFER! Enjoy! 

Check out todays, 

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

2 large sweet potatoes (1/2 pounds total)
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon light- or dark-brown sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped pecans

How to make it: 1 hour, 20 minutes

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Pierce each sweet potato twice with tip of knife.

2. Bake until soft, about 50 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle but still very warm. Reduce oven heat to 325°F.

3. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out flesh and place in medium bowl, being careful not to tear skin. Reserve skins. Add pineapple, oil, butter, sugar, zest, and salt to potato flesh. Whip with electric mixer or whisk until slightly fluffy.

4. Place skin shells on baking sheet. Fill with potato mixture, mounding each. Bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle with pecans. Bake 5 minutes longer. 1 serving is half a potato.

Healthy Cooking Tip:

Twice-Baked Stuffed Sweet Potatoes can be made up to a day ahead of time. Bake and stuff the potatoes as directed in the recipe through step 3. Place in a shallow dish, cover loosely and refrigerate. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking as directed in the recipe.

Modified from Reader's Digest Recipe
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...